UA-71238615-1 Jump to content
konrad szwab

Latest ETA ?

I just priced it out and i was originally going to be doing a A36 prototype but i found that it is not much cheaper than 1045 Steel. So i will buy a 4' x10' sheet for the water jet at tech shop to cut to the 9"x18" sheet sizes to mill out. i also found out that my machine time has increased from the projected 2.5 hours to 5.5 hours. also tech shop is in process of moving to new location and they already moved the water jet (their biggest machine) about a month ago and has since been off limits until the move and the building is to code for people "customers" to be in it. the move starts in march 2nd and techshop will be down for 10 days until move is complete. then i will have access to the water jet and the tormach again and then i will begin machining them out. also china is back off their chinese new year so i will be ordering the bearings from there soon.

Originally i was going to take some 4" x 12" smaller plates of A36 that i have in my garage and weld them together to make a 9" x 18" sheet and grind the welds down for prototype. but i dont think that will yield a very good steel prototype. so i was going to go to 1045 sheets ordered to size however the price was outrageous as i could get a 4' x 10' sheet for what it would cost me for 5 9" x 18" sheets.

I will post a update with this information on my dev blog for the shredder so continue to monitor the blog. the blog can be found here:

• Like 1

I just started working at a machine shop to learn more about cnc. He has a old mill that he is no longer using. It would be perfect to start machining out the shredder. It is a old production grade cnc machine. 15hp spindle 10k rpm 24 piece tool changer and 40"x20" bed. so i am going to be designing a fixture this weekend to do the shredder. The fixture is so i can run one after another. In the mean time while i am using that machine i am going to be designing a cnc plasma machine to be using at home. It is way faster and is more suited for this kind of work. But it will take a while to get it calibrated. While the mill will turn out perfect parts every time. I will see when he has time to show me more on how to use that machine it will probably be a Saturday.

• Ok so this is the inside scoop on the situation which is changing very rapidly.
  • SF TheShop.build was my originally going to be my go to for cutting out the shredders.
  • However something else has come up.
  • TheShop.build San Jose is going full steam ahead.
  • Supposibly the new 58,000 SF shop is going operational "Early May"
  • In this new shop to manufacture the shredder we have 3 options, cnc plasma cutter, waterjet, and the newest best option a Fiber Laser that can cut up to 1/2" steel.
  • Fiber Laser is how Dave Hakkens manufactures  his shredders and other people on his form and in his buisness Precious plastic
  • It is the precision of water jet but the cost of operation of a cnc plamsa.
  • In the mean time i am getting ready to have the shredder prototype ready for maker faire.
  • Today at the school shop i am going to be pressing the 4 bearings into the housing.
  • Then having central shop water jet cut the rest of the parts needed to build a final assembly.
  • then i am going to get into contact with the new GM of TheShop.Build san jose to figure out if indeed what i heard at the open house of san jose facility is correct and the fiber laser has the correct wattage and wavelength to cut atleast 1/4" steel.
  • If that is the case manufacturing is to begin in summer.

I kind of gave up hope on this. I think I will continue to use my shears/woodchipper method until someone actually builds something that I can buy. It's been I think 2 years ? since i sent the money for this, hopefully I will get something before I retire in another 20.

I put together the protytpe a few days ago. The prototype works and everything works i just dont have a machine to cut it that i have access to. paying to have it cut would cost 250 bucks a shredder. the new tech shop that i am going to have access to is supposed to have a fiber laser that can cut the steel. but they are 3 months behind schedule of opening. they were supposed to open in may. I am sort of stuck. either the shop opens to cut it or i have to build my own diy water jet. i am going to be posting a youtube video of the prototype and the status of what is going on. i will post a picture down below of the prototype.

Finished Shredder PIC.jpg

I am willing to pay extra whatever is needed so I can have a working one so I do not have to do the shears cutting. Please let me know how much and where to send the money.

Thanks. 

Ok i will send out a email to this waterjet service i talked to and i will see how much it is going to run me. or i will even check out this online service thing i found. let me look into it.

• Like 1